Saturday, January 16, 2010

Chocolate Chips

I love long car rides by myself for one reason: I have a ton of time to reflect on my life. Last night was a usual time of reflection, but I was thinking a lot about my career path and how certain moments in my life have influenced my decision to become a junior high math teacher. If my life was a chocolate chip cookie, these people and these events definitely are the chocolate chips that may have seemed like a nut at the time.

So Chocolate Chip #1: Mrs. Moon
She was my seventh and eighth grade math teacher who definitely encouraged me to be the best I can be and to never settle for mediocrity. She helped develop my love for math with her weekly challenge problems and her overall love for the subject. I also loved that she taught our class more than just math. She taught us lifelong lessons to have dreams and goals, but to never forget the people in your life that helped you achieve them. I kept in touch with her all through high school and college, and then she was diagnosed with brain cancer a couple years back. Her struggle became a huge testimony of her faith in Christ and even in her last few days she was still fighting strong. She cared more about others than she did herself, and she would email me frequently to encourage me in my pursuit of my passions. I want to be a math teacher like her that makes differences in the lives of students.

Chocolate Chip #2: Pacific Camps
When I was in fourth grade I knew I wanted to work at camp - getting paid to play with kids? Come on - who wouldn't want that job?! I started my junior year working with 1st-5th. And every break in college I came home to work at camp. For the past five years, I've work with every age group, but junior high has been my favorite. I have built so many relationships and watched kids mature and grow in Christ. It's been amazing. I love this age because I feel like I can relate best to what they are going through, and we can have meaningful conversations. This is also the age where they start to question things and explore a lot of stuff that can either harm or benefit their lives. However, they are still moldable, and they need an older person in their lives to guide and influence them.

This leads me to Chocolate Chips #3 and #4: Bud and Manny
If it wasn't for these two men who saw something in me, I would never have been given the opportunity to serve in junior high and would not have discovered my passion for this age group. Because of Manny's encouragement and leadership, I have learned how to be a junior high leader and how to have fun and be crazy with this age group. Because of Manny, I've eaten two entire habaneros, dyed my hair blue, gone paintballing twice, conquered my fear of swimming in the ocean, and learned how to mentor junior high kids. I've learned how to go above and beyond the call of duty, which totally makes the junior high counselor. These kids need more than a 9 to 5 person, and I've enjoyed being that. But also because of Manny, I considered a career working with youth, and my best option was teaching. Bud has continued to give me the opportunity to work with this age group and I am so grateful that he is paying me and giving me enough hours to work with these kids.

Chocolate Chips #5, #6, and #7: My mom, brother, and cousin Sally
These three people are all incredible teachers. My mom is an excellent teacher, but I never wanted to become a teacher because she hated it when I was younger and she always came home tired. I remember her talking about how much she hated it and all because of that I didn't want that career path. I think though that my mom really helped me learn how to lead and teach effectively. My brother is a natural teacher, and he has inspired me to help others. My cousin is also a teacher and I have listened to her talk to my mom and swap teacher stories.

I guess teaching is in my blood and I really hope that God continues to put more chocolate chips in my life as I pursue my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment